• Welcome to our forum. Feel free to discuss anything related to science fiction; in particular our great science fiction series. But we're open to all sorts of relevant subjects, because we'd like you to hang out and enjoy yourselves.

About Rockoids II: We're proud to announce that "Rockoids II: The Coming of the Protectors" is on sale and has gotten great reviews. Check out our Order page for the details. Both the print and Amazon Kindle versions are now available!

2021 Update: Some of you have asked if there will ever be another Rockoids novel, and the answer is that Grayson and Gene wrote a first draft and are considering its future direction.

Want to Talk About the Paranormal? Please visit the newly updated discussion forums for our popular radio program, The Paracast. Click here to begin.

Movies

Gary Seven

Starship Cadet
Top 5 scifi movies of all time. What's your pick?

Tell ya what, I'll throw out one with which to start:

The Day the Earth Stood Still. This is the original with the late Michael Rennie. I'm very, very skeptical about the prospects for the remake due at the end of 2008.

1. Forbidden Planet
2. Silent Running
3. Altered States
4. 2010 Space Odyssey
5. The Abyss
I loved the first, though some of it is dated now. The concept and characters seemed very much in the Star Trek mold, and I wonder if William Shatner didn't get his influence from the portrayal of the of the captain of the starship by a super-serious (at least at the time) Leslie Nielsen.

Now both Nielsen and Shatner are doing comedy. Strange convergence. :)

Hi everybody,

Thought it would be nice to look in on your new forum Gene.

Haven't been a big reader of sci-fi for some years now, but my top five sci-fi movies would be:

1. 2001
2. Quatermass and the pit
3. Fantastic voyage
4. Day of the Triffids
5. The time machine

As ever best of luck with everything Gene.

Peace,

Mark

Hi everybody,

Thought it would be nice to look in on your new forum Gene.

Haven't been a big reader of sci-fi for some years now, but my top five sci-fi movies would be:

1. 2001
2. Quatermass and the pit
3. Fantastic voyage
4. Day of the Triffids
5. The time machine

As ever best of luck with everything Gene.

Peace,

Mark
Hey Mark, which version of The Time Machine?

That would be the original one, though I did enjoy the remake.
To me it felt I suppose more comfortable and certainly more memorable, due mainly to the fact it was narrated by the central character I think. Sorry cant recall his name right now.

Hope you know what I mean, it's just one of those movies I could watch anytime
and be completely absorbed all over again.

Peace,

Mark

That would be the original one, though I did enjoy the remake.
To me it felt I suppose more comfortable and certainly more memorable, due mainly to the fact it was narrated by the central character I think. Sorry cant recall his name right now.

Hope you know what I mean, it's just one of those movies I could watch anytime
and be completely absorbed all over again.

Peace,

Mark
The original movie version of The Time Machine featured Rod Taylor, with Alan Young (best known as the guy who played straight man to a talking horse in the TV series, Mr. Ed) as his best friend.

I thought it was far better than the remake, which featured Guy Pearce (best known as one of the lead performers in L.A. Confidential).

Ah! I have not been watching movies lately. I am busy enjoying shows by Andy Yeatman on Netflix. These are not only entertaining but educating as well. I am glad that my kids are watching it and there is so much that they are learning from it.

Back