• Welcome to our forum. Feel free to discuss anything related to science fiction; in particular our great science fiction series. But we're open to all sorts of relevant subjects, because we'd like you to hang out and enjoy yourselves.

About Rockoids II: We're proud to announce that "Rockoids II: The Coming of the Protectors" is on sale and has gotten great reviews. Check out our Order page for the details. Both the print and Amazon Kindle versions are now available!

2021 Update: Some of you have asked if there will ever be another Rockoids novel, and the answer is that Grayson and Gene wrote a first draft and are considering its future direction.

Want to Talk About the Paranormal? Please visit the newly updated discussion forums for our popular radio program, The Paracast. Click here to begin.

Is the iPhone the Next Major Gaming Platform?

Gene Steinberg

Forum Deity
Staff member
The other day I read a quote from a developer with a major game software company that suggested the iPhone is as powerful as any gaming console.

If this is the case -- and I'm far from the gaming expert -- I'm curious as to your experiences. Is it truly a state-of-the-art platform? Or not?

I cant see how the Iphone can compete with a gaming console as the screen is little and also you have to use keys on the phone touch pad which I would find inferior to a game pad.

I dont know about graphics wise ? I think it would be a nifty piece of tech to have but not for gaming on.

It would be ok for platform games I guess.

I cant see how the Iphone can compete with a gaming console as the screen is little and also you have to use keys on the phone touch pad which I would find inferior to a game pad.

I dont know about graphics wise ? I think it would be a nifty piece of tech to have but not for gaming on.

It would be ok for platform games I guess.
The iPhone's Accelerometer allows for some neat action. Don't sell it short. :)

How do the games work exactley ? Do you download them or do you pop in some kind of cartridge ?

And how much are the games ?

I'm gonna do a google search right now !
They are all downloaded within the iPhone or iTunes courtesy of Apple's App Store. They are not available separately, and the installation is done on the iPhone itself.

Games range from absolutely free to usually no higher than $9.99 each. But often somewhere in the middle.

The big question is where the iPhone stands compared to traditional gaming consoles.

This article suggests the iPhone isn't in that market:

Back